The battle of the ribbons, branded vs compatible.
The difference between branded and compatible ribbons can be compared to the same instance as branded vs compatible toner. You know that you can always trust the branded ribbon to produce a good print on your labels. However if you pick the right compatible you can easily get as good a print as you can with branded.
So what are the best compatibles?
We have tested a wide range of ribbons with the appropriate paper and synthetic labels and picked out the ribbons that we believe produced the best print.
- Armor AWR470 - for low cost printing, "Soft" wax suitable for papers and semi gloss paper labels. Low smudge resistance.
- ITW B220 Resin enhanced wax - ideal for coated and semi gloss paper labels. Some smudge resistance and good print quality.
- DNP (Sony) TR4085+ Resin enhanced wax - the best wax ribbon for coated and semi gloss paper labels. Some smudge resistance and excellent print quality.
- Armor APR6 Wax Resin - smudge resistant on semi gloss paper labels, print will rub off synthetics more easily.
- Ricoh B110Ti Wax Resin - premium wax resin ribbon, smudge resistant on semi gloss paper labels, print will rub off synthetics more easily. Provides excellent print quality on a wide range of materials with most printers.
- Ricoh B110A Wax Resin - the ultimate wax resin ribbon, smudge resistant on semi gloss paper labels, print will rub off synthetics more easily, provides excellent print quality on a wide range of materials with most printers.
- Armor AXR7 Resin - Scratch resistant on coated synthetics, very versatile, works on most printers with wide variety of materials.
- Armor AXR8 Resin - Scratch resistant on synthetics, works on most printers with wide variety of materials, ideal for print that needs to be chemical resistant.
Example costs of branded vs compatible ribbons:
*Cost based on a 110mm x 450M ribbon, correct as of 29th September 2009.
|DNP (Sony) TR4085+||£6.44|
|DNP (Sony) 5080||£11.27|
When starting a new project with thermal transfer printing, it is always advisable to ask your supplier for a sample ribbon to ensure you have a good match between the ribbon and label material.
To enquire about branded or compatible ribbons, call our sales office on 01536 414222 or fill out our contact form.